Women's Tennis |
April 8, 2006
CINCINNATI, Ohio - The University of Cincinnati fell 7-0 to the Marshall Thundering Herd on Saturday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center at Lunken Playfield. The Bearcats' record drops to 1-15, while No. 57 Marshall improves to 16-6 for the year.
Nationally-ranked Marshall proved to be too much for a short-handed Bearcat squad. Lynzee Kever, the junior from Marshall, earned the win over Cincinnati's Hannah Hinton 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 1 singles spot. At No. 2 singles, experience seemed to be little help to Cincinnati senior Jill Klauck as she fell 6-2, 6-0 to freshman Kellie Schmitt.
The results were similar in doubles play, with Marshall taking all three matches 8-1. Schmitt and Kever earned their second victories of the day, defeating Klauck and sophomore Lindsay Willeford. The Marshall team of Shannon Brown and Karolina Soor took the No. 2 doubles win, beating Hinton and freshman Elizabeth Young. In the final match, Jeanne Schwartz and Jessica Keener of Marshall defeated junior Madison Reasoner and freshman Jennifer Kelly.
The Bearcats take to the courts again on Thursday, April 13 when they play local opponent Xavier. The match is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the UC Tennis Center. No. 57
Marshall 7, Cincinnati 0
April 8 - Lindner Family Tennis Center at Lunken Playfield
1. Lynzee Kever (MU) d. Hannah Hinton (CIN) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kellie Schmitt (MU) d. Jill Klauck (CIN) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jeanne Schwartz (MU) d. Lindsay Willeford (CIN) 6-2, 6-0
4. Shannon Brown (MU) d. Elizabeth Young (CIN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Karolina Soor (MU) d. Madison Reasoner (CIN) 6-2, 6-2
6. Marshall wins by default
1. Schmitt/Kever (MU) d. Klauck/Willeford (CIN) 8-1
2. Brown/Soor (MU) d. Hinton/Young (CIN) 8-1
3. Schwartz/Jessica Keener (MU) d. Reasoner/ Jennifer Kelly (CIN) 8-1