Women's Tennis |
April 13, 2006
CINCINNATI, Ohio -- The opening day of the new UC Tennis Center produced an exciting day of tennis, with Cincinnati falling to Xavier, 6-1, on Thursday afternoon.
The season-ending loss for the Bearcats dropped their record to 1-16, while XU improved to 12-8.
"We played well," said head coach Kimberly Jones. "It was really exciting and I think we were a bit nervous at the start. There were some matches we could have had."
In doubles play, XU opened with an 8-4 win at the No. 2 spot by Sarah Potts and Emily Tuchscherer, but UC responded with an 8-4 victory at No. 3 by Madison Reasoner and Elizabeth Young. In the deciding match, Musketeers Kristen Clary and Kara Courtney topped Hannah Hinton and Jill Klauck, 8-3, to take the doubles point.
The singles were marked by several close matches. Courtney and Klauck battled at No. 2, splitting the first two sets before the XU freshman pulled ahead for a 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 win. The Bearcats got their point when freshman Jenny Rowen defeated Tuchscherer, 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8).
XU also got wins from Clary, Jackie Vilines, Alicia Papa and Potts.
Xavier 6, Cincinnati 1
April 13, 2006 - UC Tennis Center
1. Kristen Clary (XU) d. Hannah Hinton (CIN) 6-2, 6-4
2. Kara Courtney (XU) d. Jill Klauck (CIN) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jackie Vilines (XU) d. Lindsay Willeford (CIN) 6-4, 6-3
4. Alicia Papa (XU) d. Elizabeth Young (CIN) 6-3, 7-5
5. Jenny Rowen (CIN) d. Emily Tuchscherer (XU) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Sarah Potts (XU) d. Madison Reasoner (CIN) 6-3, 6-2
1. Clary/Courtney (XU) d. Hinton/Klauck (CIN) 8-3
2. Potts/Tuchscherer (XU) d. Rowen/Willeford (CIN) 8-4
3. Reasoner/Young (CIN) d. Annie Diedalis/Vilines (XU) 8-4