Women's Tennis |
April 13, 2014
CHICAGO - The University of Cincinnati women's tennis team was unable to pull off the upset, falling 6-1 to No. 39 DePaul University on Sunday afternoon in Chicago, Illinois.
The Bearcats were able to win one of the three doubles matches when sophomore Kelly Poggensee-Wei (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) and senior Caitlin O'Gara (Springboro, Ohio/Bishop Fenwick) took down the duo of Patricia Fargas and Ana Vladutu 8-4. The UC tandem improved their record to 14-8 in doubles play on the season. The Blue Demons were able pick up wins in the second and third spots to take the doubles point and lead 1-0.
Senior Caitlin O'Gara (Springboro, Ohio/Bishop Fenwick) earned the lone victory for Bearcats against the Blue Demons. O'Gara started off strong during the first set of her singles match beating Jasmin Kling 6-1. After dropping her second set 6-0, she bounced back in the tiebreaker to clinch the win. This is the 11th singles win for the Springboro native reaching the .500 win percentage to close out the regular season.DePaul was able to take care of the singles matches on courts one, four, five, and six as well to claim the victory.
The loss moves the Bearcats record to 9-13 on the season. The Blue Demons improve their record to 18-3 on the year and is a perfect 7-0 at home.
Cincinnati will look to finish their season on a strong note when they travel to Tampa, Florida for the American Athletic Conference Championships on Thursday, April 17th through Sunday, April 20th.
Cincinnati vs. DePaul
April 13, 2014
DePaul 6, Cincinnati 1
1. Vladutu (DU) def. Poggensee-Wei (UC), 6-2, ret.
2. Fargas (DU) def Witte (UC), 6-3, 5-7, 1-0
3. O'Gara (UC) def. Kling (DU), 6-1, 0-6, 1-0
4. Lawson (DU) def. Bure (UC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Sufi (DU) def. Wille (UC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Mitrea (DU) def. Wilson (UC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Poggensee-Wei/O'Gara (UC) def. Fargas/Vladutu (DU), 8-4
2. Lawson/Kling (DU) def. Wilson/Bure (UC), 8-0
3. Mitrea/Sufi (DU) def. Wille/Witte (UC), 8-3