Women's Tennis |
April 18, 2014
TAMPA, Fla. – The eighth-seeded University of Cincinnati women’s tennis team fell to top seeded Houston in quarterfinals of the American Athletic Conference Championship on Friday, by a 4-0 score in Tampa, Fla. on the campus of USF.
Houston began the match taking two of three from Cincinnati in doubles action. The Cougars picked up a pair of 8-4 wins while the duo of Ashleigh Witte (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) and Lauren Bellinger (Dublin, Ohio/Dublin Jerome) teamed up to take UC's lone win by an 8-4 score over Cardenas and Rupert.
The Cougars went on to win the next three matches defeating the Bearcats 4-0. Phillips took down Bure with a score of 6-2, 6-0 while Cardenas bested Bure 6-2, 6-1. Vogasari’s victory over Poggensee-Wei 6-2, 6-3 gave the Cougars the fourth point of the match and the win. Witte, O’Gara, and Bellinger all played singles matches that were unfinished.
Cincinnati finishes the season at 10-14 while Houston improves to 20-4 and advances to the semifinals of the American Conference Championships.
No. 1 seed Houston 4, No. 8 seed Cincinnati 0
April 18, 2014
Varsity Courts, Tampa, Fla. – 8 a.m. ET
1. Kordolaimi/Vogasari (HOU) def. Poggensee-Wei/O’Gara (CIN): 8-4*
2. Witte/Bellinger (CIN) def. Cardenas/Rupert (HOU): 8-4
3. Martin/Phillips (HOU) def. Bure/Wilson (CIN): 8-4
1. Vogasari (HOU) def. Poggensee-Wei (CIN): 6-2, 6-3*
2. Kordolaimi (HOU) did not finish vs. Witte (CIN)
3. Rupert (HOU) did not finish vs. O’Gara (CIN)
4. Cardenas (HOU) def. Bure (CIN): 6-2, 6-1
5. Martin (HOU) did not finish vs. Bellinger (CIN)
6. Phillips (HOU) def. Wille (CIN): 6-2, 6-0
Match Duration: 2:07