Women's Tennis Bounces Back, Defeats Seton Hall In BIG EAST Championship Consolation Play|
April 20, 2012
TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Cincinnati women’s tennis team defeated Seton Hall, 4-0, in consolation play of the BIG EAST Championship on Friday afternoon at USF Varsity Courts on the South Florida campus.
The Bearcats got on the board early by sweeping SHU in doubles action to capture the doubles point. In the No. 1 doubles position Jasmine Lee and Ashleigh Witte topped Seton Hall’s Chloe Sher and Rocio Portela 8-5, while Kristina Georgieva and Safiyya Ismail came away victorious against Elizabeth Verow and Madison Shoemaker in an 8-3 decision.
With the doubles point already in hand, the Bearcats needed only three singles wins to wrap-up a victory. Safiyya Ismail knocked off Madison Shoemaker 6-3, 6-1, with Ashleigh Witte dropping Elizabeth Verow 6-3, 6-1 as well. To seal the victory, Krisitna Georgieva quickly disposed of Rocio Portela in a 6-2, 6-0 decision.
Cincinnati will return to action in consolation play tomorrow, April 21, at 3 p.m. against the winner of No. 10 St. John’s and No. 11 Pittsburgh whose match today was suspended due to lightning and will resume tomorrow at 9 a.m.
BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Championship
No. 9 Cincinnati 4, No. 12 Seton Hall 0
1. Jasmine Lee (UC) vs. Chloe Sher (SHU) 6-2, 1-2 DNF
2. Kristina Georgieva (UC) def. Rocio Portela (SHU) 6-2, 6-0*
3. Ashleigh Witte (UC) def. Elizabeth Verow (SHU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Sierra Sullivan (UC) vs. Karina Cordero (SHU) 6-0, 3-3 DNF
5. Safiyya Ismail (UC) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Maria Rodriguez (SHU) vs. Carly Wilson (UC) 6-1, 4-1
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 2*