Volleyball Opens Season with 3-1 Win over Duquesne|
Aug. 29, 2014
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati volleyball team opened the 2014 season in winning fashion, taking a 3-1 (25-22, 18-25, 25-19, 25-19) victory over Duquesne in the opening match of the inaugural Queen City Classic.
· Hill tallied her second-career double-double with 17 kills and 10 digs. The kills tally was one shy of a career high while her 10 digs ties her career-best mark.
· Roberson began her Bearcats career with a bang, hitting 15 kills on 41 attempts.
· Madi Lang (Commerce Township, Mich./Florida Atlantic) celebrated her birthday by playing a large role in the victory. The senior dished out 46 assists while adding nine digs, three kills, two blocks and two service aces.
· The Bearcats played defense by committee against Duquesne with every player who stepped on the floor recording at least one dig. Senior Jamie Netisingha (Westmont, Ill./Hinsdale Central) led the way with 15 while Hill, Lang, freshman Christine Chandler (Milford, Ohio/Mount Notre Dame), junior Amelia Wegman (Aurora, Ill./Rosary), Nicholson, and freshman Macie Pifer (Euclid, Ohio/Beaumont) all tallied at least five.
· Roberson, Chandler and Pifer all made their Cincinnati debuts in the match.
· Cincinnati topped Duquesne in virtually every statistical category, including kills (59 to 47), assists (56 to 44), digs (62 to 60), blocks (8.0 to 6.0) and hitting percentage (.260 to .162).
· The match was part of the Queen City Classic that is being hosted by both Cincinnati and Xavier University. The two teams welcomed the Dukes and UC Irvine to Southwest Ohio for the six-match tournament.
// Set Breakdown
Set 1: UC 25, DU 22
· The Bearcats fell behind early but were resilient in the attack to claw back.
· With the score tied at 14-14, Cincinnati rattled off three straight points to build a slight lead at 17-14.
· Two service aces by Lang grew the lead to 22-17.
Set 2: DU 25, UC 18
· Hill and Roberson led the attack in the second set and four and three kills, respectively.
· Five DU players registered at least two kills during the game.
· The Dukes controlled the lead through the majority of the set and scored five of the last seven points to tie the match at 2-2.
Set 3: UC 25, DU 19
· Cincinnati held at 1-point lead until kills by Hill and Nicholson and a block by Hill and redshirt sophomore Alison Kimmel (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield North) put the home team ahead 18-14.
· Roberson closed out the set with a pair of strong kills to give UC the 25-19 victory.
Set 4: UC 25, DU 19
· Hill finished the match on a high note, tallying five kills and five digs in the game.
· Five Bearcats players had at least two kills in the game to give UC 17 total.
· UC rode the momentum through the set, forcing many DU errors including an attack error by Madelynn Burnham to end the match.
// Up Next
The Bearcats continue play in the Queen City Classic with two matches Saturday. UC will host UC Irvine at Noon in Fifth Third Arena before traveling across town to play at crosstown rival Xavier at 6 p.m. in the tournament finale.
// Follow the Bearcats
For all of the latest information on Cincinnati volleyball, please visit GoBEARCATS.com. For up to the minute updates, follow Cincinnati Volleyball (@cincinnativball) and Coach Alvey (@CoachAlveyUC) on twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Facebook and Instagram.
// Ticket Information
Season tickets for all 15 home matches can be purchased for as little $10. For more information, visit GoBEARCATS.com/tickets or call 1-877-CATS-TIX.