Volleyball Advances to 2-0 with Sweep of UC Irvine|
Aug. 30, 2014
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati volleyball team is 2-0 for the first time since 2010 after sweeping UC Irvine 3-0 (25-23, 25-22, 25-23) in the second match of the Queen City Invitational in Fifth Third Arena.
· The Bearcats recorded 8.0 blocks for the second consecutive match compared to 6.0 for the Anteaters.
· The match was the second straight that the Bearcats recorded a higher hitting percentage than their opponent.
· With a Xavier win over Duquesne, the match tonight against Xavier at 6 p.m. in the Cintas Center is essentially the championship match of the Queen City Classic.
· Sophomore Lindsey Dinkelacker (Cincinnati, Ohio/St. Louis) made her Cincinnati debut when she entered the match in the third set.
// Set Breakdown
Set 1: UC 25, UCI 23
· The Bearcats scored three straight points to take an early 8-4 lead with a block by Nicholson and redshirt sophomore Alison Kimmel (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield North), a service ace by Chandler and a kill by Nicholson.
· After UC jumped ahead 18-13, the Anteaters scored three in a row to climb within 18-15 and force a UC timeout.
· UC Irvine used two service aces to tie the score at 20-20 and take a 21-20 lead.
· The Bearcats closed out the set with three straight points on a UCI service error and two blocks by senior Madi Lang (Commerce Township, Mich./Florida Atlantic) and Kimmel).
Set 2: UC 25, UCI 22
· UC took a 9-6 lead after three consecutive points but UCI responded with five of its own to go ahead 11-9.
· An ace by Nicholson put UC ahead 18-16 and forced a UC Irvine timeout.
· The Bearcats scored five of the last seven points and closed the set on a UCI service error.
Set 3: UC 25, UCI 23
· Back-to-back duel blocks by Nicholson/Amelia Wegman (Aurora, Ill./Rosary) and Nicholson/Emma Roberson (Brooks, Ky./Evansville) followed by two kills by Nicholson gave UC a 13-10 lead.
· A kill from Ciara Hill (Bolingbrook, Ill./Bolingbrook) and a Hill/Kimmel block put UC ahead 20-16.
· Cincinnati had three match point opportunities before finally putting the match away with a UCI attacking error.
· Nicholson paced the Bearcats throughout the set, recording six kills and two blocks.
// Up Next
The Bearcats will face Xavier University in the Queen City Classic tonight at 6 p.m. from the Cintas Center on the campus of XU.
// Follow the Bearcats
For all of the latest information on Cincinnati volleyball, please visit GoBEARCATS.com. For up to the minute updates, follow Cincinnati Volleyball (@cincinnativball) and Coach Alvey (@CoachAlveyUC) on twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Facebook and Instagram.
Season tickets for all 15 home matches can be purchased for as little $10. For more information, visit GoBEARCATS.com/tickets or call 1-877-CATS-TIX.