Bearcats Fall in Championship Match of Queen City Classic|
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati volleyball team dropped a 3-0 decision to Xavier University in the championship match of the Queen City Classic from XU's Cintas Center. The Bearcats had beaten Duquesne and UC Irvine earlier in the weekend to set up the championship contest with the Musketeers.
· The Bearcats were named the official runners-up of the inaugural Queen City Classic hosted by both Cincinnati schools.
· Xavier was dominant at the net throughout the match, recording 11.0 blocks to Cincinnati's 3.0.
· Senior Me'Ashah Nicholson played a part in all three of UC's blocks with two solo blocks and a block assist.
· Thirteen Bearcats players saw action in the match, with all but one appearing in at least two sets.
· Hill finished the tournament with 35 kills and 22 digs in three matches.
· Freshman Parker Shepherd made her collegiate debut when she entered the match in the second set. She finished the match with seven assists and three digs.
· Freshman Cortnee Bowser made her collegiate debut when she entered the match in the third set. She finished the match with one kill.
// Set Breakdown
Set 1: XU 25, UC 23
· Cincinnati controlled the match early, scoring four of the first five points in the match.
· While trailing 11-10, the Bearcats rattled of four unanswered points to go ahead 14-11. Two kills by Nicholson and senior Madi Lang (Commerce Township, Mich./Florida Atlantic) and a service ace by freshman Christine Chandler (Milford, Ohio/Mount Notre Dame) paced the run.
· Xavier took a 23-21 lead following their second service ace of the set but Cincinnati responded with a kill by Nicholson and a XU attack error to tie the game at 23-23.
· Xavier scored two points out of a timeout to win the set 25-23.
Set 2: XU 25, UC 17
· XU scored four unanswered to break an 8-8 tie and go ahead 11-8 in the set.
· The Musketeers extended the lead to 19-11 following six straight points and three UC attack errors.
· The Musketeers closed out the game with a UC service error and a kill by Aubree Smith to win 25-17 and take a 2-0 match lead.
Set 3: XU 25 , UC 19
· Xavier surged to a 7-2 lead but Cincinnati climbed back into the game with the help of a couple XU attacking errors to tie the score at 9-9.
· The Musketeers scored four straight to go ahead 21-16 and finished the match by scoring eight of the last 11 points.
// Alvey's Additions
"Overall, this was a great first tournament for us" said head coach Molly Alvey. "We set very high expectations for ourselves and I feel we fulfilled those this weekend and it was a great way to open the season. Tonight we played solid volleyball against Xavier early but our systems broke down. It does give us a clear idea of what we need to work on this week heading into our tournament next weekend in Louisville."
// Up Next
The Bearcats travel to Louisville, Kentucky, to participate in the Active Ankle Challenge at the University of Louisville on Sept. 5 and 7. Cincinnati will face Appalachian State, Louisville and Tennessee State during the two-day tournament.
// Follow the Bearcats
For all of the latest information on Cincinnati volleyball, please visit GoBEARCATS.com. For up to the minute updates, follow Cincinnati Volleyball (@cincinnativball) and Coach Alvey (@CoachAlveyUC) on twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Facebook and Instagram.
Season tickets for all 15 home matches can be purchased for as little $10. For more information, visit GoBEARCATS.com/tickets or call 1-877-CATS-TIX.