Women's Volleyball |
Sep 5, 2013
Baymont Inn Invitational | Sept. 6-7
The Convocation Center | Athens, Ohio
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati volleyball team looks to turn its season around and collect its first win when it travels to Athens, Ohio for the Bobcat Invitational presented by Baymont Inn and Suites, hosted by Ohio University. The Bearcats will face the home team at noon on Friday Sept. 6 before matching up against the Flyers of the University of Dayton at 5 p.m. that evening. The tournament will conclude with a match against the No. 24 University of North Carolina Tar Heels at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7.
All matches will be available through live stats at http://www.ohiobobcats.com/gametracker/universe/.
The match versus Ohio at noon on Friday will be live streamed at http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/ohio.portal#.
Cincinnati (0-3) opened the season with three tough matches at the UC Invitational Aug. 30 and 31. The Bearcats fell 3-0 to Butler University, the eventual tournament champions, and the University of Tennessee on Friday before picking up a set in a 3-1 defeat by Morehead State University on Saturday.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Bearcats hold an overall record of 40-30-1 against the three teams they will face at the Bobcat Invitational. UC has an impressive .720 winning percentage against the Ohio Bobcats with an 18-7 record, dating back to 1972. In the teams' last meeting, however, OU managed a 3-2 victory in a match played in Fifth Third Arena on Nov. 25, 2011. Cincinnati and Dayton have the most prominent history, nearly splitting the 43 matches played between them (UC leads 22-20-1). The Flyers beat the Bearcats 3-0 last season in Dayton, Ohio. UC will be searching for its first victory over North Carolina who holds a 3-0 advantage in the series.
- After the opening weekend of play, Jamie Netisingha (Westmont, Ill./Hinsdale Central) currently ranks second in the American Athletic Conference with 5.50 digs per set. The junior, who is playing her first season as the team's libero, set a new career high in the season-opener with 15 digs only to re-set her career mark with 26 digs against Morehead State.
- Junior Madi Lang (Commerce Township, Mich./Florida Atlantic) and senior Me'Ashah Nicholson (Shiloh, Ill./Belleville Althoff) also rank among the conference leaders. Lang sits in sixth with 9.17 assists per set while Nicholson is ninth with 1.00 block per set.
- Head coach Molly Alvey played all seven freshmen on her roster last weekend, and started four in at least one match. Overall, the freshman contingent accounted for 62 kills, 33 assists and 62 digs in three matches. Ciara Hill (Bolingbrook, Ill./Bolingbrook) recorded 11 kills in her collegiate debut and added seven and nine kills in the following matches. Mallory Blauser (Round Rock, Texas/Round Rock Christian Academy) recorded nine digs in each of the last two matches against Tennessee and Morehead State. She also poured in eight and seven kills, respectively.
- The Bearcats will face their first ranked opponent of the season when they face North Carolina at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7. The Tar Heels are ranked No. 24 in the weekly American Volleyball Coaches' Association (AVCA) poll. Cincinnati will play five additional matches this season against teams currently ranked in the top-25. In 2012, the Bearcats played 11 matches against ranked opposition and fell short in each of them.