Sept. 12, 2013
UC vs. Navy Live Stats NKU vs. Navy Live StatsUC vs. CSU Live StatsCSU vs. Navy Live StatsUC vs. NKU Live StatsCSU vs. NKU Live Stats
UC Invitational II | Sept. 13-14
Fifth Third Arena | Cincinnati, Ohio
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati volleyball is preparing to host its second tournament of the season, the UC Invitational II, on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 13 and 14. The Bearcats will welcome Navy, Cleveland State and Northern Kentucky to Fifth Third Arena for the six-match event.
UC will open the tournament with a match against Navy at 11:30 a.m. on Friday. NKU and Navy will square off Friday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. and UC will again take the floor at 7 p.m. versus Cleveland State. On Saturday, CSU and Navy will meet at 11:30 a.m. while the Bearcats will finish against Northern Kentucky at 2 p.m. Cleveland State and Northern Kentucky will close the event with a match at 7 p.m.
All matches featuring the Bearcats will be streamed on demand through Bearcats TV and are available at http://www.gobearcats.com/allaccess/.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Cincinnati has produced a 15-11 record against its opponents for the upcoming UC Invitational II but it has never before faced Navy, its first matchup of the tournament. The Bearcats will be facing Cleveland State for the 16th time in program history after previously recording a 9-6 record versus the Vikings. The first match between the teams was in 1975 but they have not played since 1999, a 3-0 victory for UC. The Bearcats have not matched up against the Norse of NKU since 1986 (a 3-1 loss) but have compiled a 6-5 record against them. NKU is entering just its second year in NCAA DI play and finished 2012 with a 25-7 record, marking the best opening season for a reclassifying team in NCAA history.
- Junior Jamie Netisingha (Wetmont, Ill./Hinsdale Central) currently ranks fifth in the American Athletic Conference with 4.16 digs per set. Junior Madi Lang (Commerce Township, Mich./Florida Atlantic) and senior Me’Ashah Nicholson (Shiloh, Ill./Belleville Althoff) also rank among the conference leaders. Lang sits in seventh with 6.87 assists per set while Nicholson is seventh with 1.00 block per set.
- The Bearcats faced two ranked opponents in as many matches when they played No. 24 North Carolina on Sept. 7 and No. 21 Western Kentucky on Sept. 10. UC also will play three additional matches this season against teams either ranked or receiving votes in the current AVCA poll.
- Two Bearcats were named to All-Tournament teams during the two opening weekends of play. Nicholson was allocated to the UC Invitational All-Tournament team on Aug. 31 after recording 20 kills, six digs, and 10 blocks in three matches. Sophomore Morgan Allred (Carrolton Texas/Hebron) hit 17 kills and added 22 digs at the Bobcat Invitational to be named to the All-Tournament team on Sept. 7.
- All seven freshmen have played a significant role on the team through two weekends of the season. Combined, the freshman class of Mallory Blauser (Round Rock, Texas/Round Rock Christian Academy), Breanna Barksdale (Chula Vista, Fla./Eastlake), Kristin Conor (Lone Tree, Colo./Highlands Ranch), Shelby Green (Dripping Springs, Texas/Dripping Springs), Ciara Hill (Bolingbrook, Ill./Bolingbrook), Alison Kimmel (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield North) and Samantha Schrenker (Elmhurst, Ill./York Community) has recorded 89 kills (48.4% of the team’s total), 45 assists (27.3%), 117 digs (40.9%) and 23 blocks (65.7%).