Women's Volleyball |
Sept. 26, 2013
UC vs. Temple | Sept. 27 | 7 p.m.
UC vs. Memphis | Sept. 29 | 1 p.m.
Fifth Third Arena | Cincinnati, Ohio
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati volleyball team will start the American Athletic Conference schedule with a clean slate this weekend when it hosts Temple University and the University of Memphis. The Bearcats will face off against the Owls at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 27 and will play the Tigers at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 29.
UC, TU and UM are joined in the American by UCF, SMU, Connecticut, Houston, USF, Louisville and Rutgers.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Temple and Memphis will travel to Fifth Third Arena as the top-ranked and third-ranked teams in the conference, respectively. The Owls, picked to finish seventh in the preseason coaches’ poll, have been led by Preseason All-Conference selection Gabriella Matautia who has produced 3.79 kills per set. Memphis was picked to finished last in the conference but has surprised everyone with an 8-5 record to open the season. Veronica Zimmerman ranks second in the conference with 11.12 assists/set.
- The Bearcats have played the Owls six times in program history with UC holding a 4-2 advantage. The last meeting between the teams came in 1996 when the Bearcats won 3-1 as part of the Auburn Invitational.
- UC and UM have a much more stories history, having been conference foes from the Metro Conference, the Great Midwest Conference and Conference USA. The teams have met 42 times in their history and UC holds a 27-15 advantage. Despite the history, the teams have not met since 2004 when the Bearcats beat the Tigers 3-2.
- Freshman Kristin Conor (Lone Tree, Colo./Highlands Ranch) currently ranks ninth in the American Athletic Conference with a 5.20 assists/set ratio, marking the only freshman in the conference to crack the top-10 in the category. Conor has appeared in 35 sets this season for Cincinnati.
- Shelby Green (Dripping Springs, Texas/Dripping Springs) was named to the Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational All-Tournament team on Sept. 21 after three matches in East Lansing, Mich. The freshman recorded 31 digs in 10 sets played at the tournament for 3.10 digs/set. She also added five assists and four service aces. Green joins junior Me’Ashah Nicholson (Shiloh, Ill./Belleville Althoff) and sophomores Morgan Allred (Carrolton, Texas/Hebron) and Amelia Wegman (Aurora, Ill./Rosary) as the Bearcats’ representatives on all-tournament teams.