Women's Volleyball |
Oct. 2, 2012
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati volleyball team will head across town on Wed., Oct. 3 to face long-time rival Xavier at 7 p.m. at the Cintas Center.
The team is encouraging all fans to head to the Cintas Center to cheer on UC. “Even though this is an away match, we are still very excited to give our fans an opportunity to watch us play” said head coach Molly Alvey. “We would love to see everyone at the match cheering for us against our rivals.”
UC leads the series with a 21-8 mark. The Bearcats are searching for their fifth consecutive victory over the Musketeers, dating back to 2001 when Cincinnati won back-to-back matches against Xavier in the regular season finale and the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Bearcats’ most recent victory was a four-set win last season at Fifth Third Arena.
The Bearcats are led by a strong cast of six seniors, including two with nationally-ranked statistics. Rachel Rohlfs (Cincinnati, Ohio/Grand Valley State) leads the BIG EAST and ranks 18th in the NCAA with 11.53 assists per game. Rohlfs offered a career-high 60 assists in a 3-2 loss to Notre Dame on Sept. 21. Also ranking among the nation’s elite is Jordanne Scott (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North), who sits at second in the conference and 20th in the nation with 4.43 kills per game.
ABOUT THE MUSKETEERS
Xavier is 10-8 on the season and has amassed a 3-1 record in the Atlantic-10 Conference. Its last match was a sweep over La Salle on Sept. 29. Sarah Brown leads XU with 3.27 kills/set while Aubree Smith is offering up 9.09 assists/set. Stephanie Vorherr is the leader in digs with 4.97/set and Alex Smith paces the team with 0.86 blocks/set.
- Senior Becca Refenes was named to the BIG EAST Honor Roll on Oct. 1 after helping her team to a 1-1 record. She recorded 14 kills and tied a career high with 10 digs at Pittsburgh and then had 15 kills and 10 digs at USF for a 3.62 kills/set average and a 2.50 digs/set average.
- Senior Jordanne Scott has recorded double-digit kills in all but two matches this season. Overall, Scott has hit in double digits in 30 of the last 32 matches, dating back to Oct. 18, 2011. vs. Western Kentucky. Scott’s season-high kills for the 2012 season is 24, one shy of her career-high, tallied on Sept. 23 against DePaul.
- Scott leads Cincinnati with 4.47 kills/set, Rohlfs leads with 11.53 assists/set, senior Becca Refenes leads with 0.90 blocks/set and junior Emily MacIntyre leads with 4.93 digs per set.
- Cincinnati ranks eighth in the BIG EAST with a .213 hitting percentage. It also ranks sixth with 12.60 assists/set and sixth with 13.37 kills/set.
- Four current players are ranked among the program’s elite in six different career statistical categories. Senior Emily Hayden is sixth in career hitting percentage with a .308 mark. Junior Emily MacIntyre sits at second in the record book with a 4.04 career digs per set clip. She also ranks seventh with 1,289 career digs. Senior Becca Refenes is currently in seventh with 388 block assists. Refenes also has 442 career blocks to put her at tenth. Senior Jordanne Scott is 10th in career hitting percentage with a .289 mark. She also has 1,399 career kills to rank at No. 10 in the record book.