Women's Volleyball |
Oct. 11, 2012
Match Notes | UConn Live Stats | St. John's Live Stats | St. John's Live Stream
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati volleyball team travels east this weekend with two BIG EAST matches on the schedule. The Bearcats will play at Connecticut at 4 p.m. on Fri., Oct. 12 and will face St. John's at 2 p.m. on Sun., Oct. 14.
UC enters the weekend with a 6-13 record and a 4-2 mark in BIG EAST play. The Bearcats, winners of four of their last six matches, will look to keep their hot streak intact on the road. The team took two matches at Fifth Third Arena last weekend against Rutgers and Seton Hall to move into fifth place in the BIG EAST standings.
The Bearcats have employed a very balanced offensive system, with five players already recording at least 100 kills on the season. Senior Jordanne Scott (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) leads the charge with 312 kills and a 4.39 kills per set average. Following are seniors Becca Refenes (Westland, Mich./Lutheran Westland) and Emily Hayden (Louisville, Ky./Assumption) who have contributed 176 and 170 kills, respectively. Senior Megan Turner (Ontario, N.Y./Wayne Central) has put up 127 kills this season while sophomore Me'Ashah Nicholson (Shiloh, Ill./Belleville Althoff) has registered 107. Collectively, there have been eight matches this season where at least three Bearcats record double-digit kills.
Defensively, junior Emily MacIntyre
(Muncie, Ind./Yorktown) has produced a 5.07 digs per set average and currently ranks second in program history with a 4.11 career digs per set clip. Senior Rachel Rohlfs
(Cincinnati, Ohio/Grand Valley State) leads the team with 11.03 assists per set, good for fourth in the league.
Cincinnati had compiled a 7-1 all-time record against Connecticut, including a 6-1 record since becoming a member of the BIG EAST in 2005. The Bearcats won the last meeting 3-0 on Sept. 23, 2011. Emily Hayden recorded 10 kills and a .769 hitting percentage in the match.
ABOUT THE HUSKIES
UConn is 12-8 on the season and 3-2 in BIG EAST play. The Huskies, who were picked to finish 10th in the preseason coaches' poll, are currently ranked sixth in the league.
ST. JOHN'S SERIES
The Bearcats lead the Red Storm 5-3 in the all-time series. The two teams have met eight times since 2005, including a 3-1 UC victory in the 2005 BIG EAST tournament. Cincinnati won the last meeting 3-0 on Sept. 25, 2011, with Jordanne Scott recording 11 kills and a .556 hitting percentage.
ABOUT THE RED STORM
St. John's is 17-4 on the season and 4-1 in the BIG EAST. The Red Storm was picked to finish 12th in the preseason coaches' poll but have made a run up to No. 4 in the current standings.
- The Bearcats are a combined 11-4 against Connecticut and St. John's since joining the BIG EAST in 2005. Cincinnati has recorded eight 3-0 victories during the span.
- Senior Jordanne Scott has recorded double-digit kills in all but two matches this season. Overall, Scott has hit in double digits in 33 of the last 35 matches, dating back to Oct. 18, 2011 vs. Western Kentucky. Scott's season-high kills for the 2012 season is 24, one shy of her career-high, tallied on Sept. 23 against DePaul.
- Scott leads Cincinnati with 4.39 kills/set, senior Rachel Rohlfs leads with 11.03 assists/set, senior Becca Refenes leads with 0.84 blocks/set and junior Emily MacIntyre leads with 5.07 digs per set.
- Cincinnati ranks eighth in the BIG EAST with a .213 hitting percentage. It also ranks fifth with 12.60 assists/set and fifth with 13.38 kills/set.
- Scott's 4.39 kills/set rank her second in the BIG EAST and 19th in the NCAA. Rohlfs is fourth the conference, and ranks No. 40 in the NCAA, with 11.03 assists/set. MacIntyre ranks sixth in the conference with 5.07 digs/set.
- Four current players are ranked among the program's elite in six different career statistical categories. Senior Emily Hayden is sixth in career hitting percentage with a .303 mark. Junior Emily MacIntyre sits at second in the record book with a 4.11 career digs per set clip. She also ranks fourth with 1,363 career digs. Senior Becca Refenes is currently in sixth with 395 block assists. Refenes also has 449 career blocks to put her at tenth. Senior Jordanne Scott has recorded 1,454 career kills to rank her ninth in program history and is 11 away from moving up into the eighth spot (1,465). She also ranks 10th with a .286 career hitting percentage.