Women's Volleyball |
Oct. 18, 2012
Match Notes | Marquette Live Stats | Marquette Live Stream | Syracuse Live Stats
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati volleyball team continues BIG EAST play with two matches at Marquette and Syracuse this weekend. The Bearcats will take on the Golden Eagles at 8 p.m. on Fri., Oct. 19 before traveling to Syracuse, N.Y. to face the Orange at 2 p.m. on Sun., Oct. 21. UC is looking to continue its winning ways after finishing victories in its last four matches.
UC enters the weekend with an 8-13 record and a 6-2 mark in BIG EAST play. The Bearcats, winners of six of their last eight matches, currently sit at fourth in the league standings. The team took two matches on the road last weekend, beating Connecticut in five sets and taking a 3-1 victory at St. John’s.
The Bearcats are led by defensive specialist Emily MacIntyre (Muncie, Ind./Yorktown) who has averaged 5.22 digs/set this season. The junior is third in program history with 1,421 career digs and second with a 4.17 digs/set ratio.
Offensively, senior Emily Hayden (Louisville, Ky./Assumption) paces the team with a .305 attacking percentage. She currently ranks sixth in the UC record book with a .306 career clip. Senior Jordanne Scott (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North), the reigning BIG EAST Player of the Week, has produced 4.41 kills/set this season. She ranks eighth in program history with 1,495 career kills and is only three away from moving into seventh place. Senior Rachel Rohlfs (Cincinnati, Ohio/Grand Valley State) leads UC with 10.94 assists/set.
Cincinnati had compiled a remarkable 29-6 record against the Golden Eagles, resulting in a .829 winning percentage. The teams have met eight times as BIG EAST foes, of which the Bearcats have won the last six, including a 3-2 victory in the semifinal round of the 2011 BIG EAST Championship. UC swept MU with 3-0 victories in four consecutive years, dating from 2007 to 2010.
ABOUT THE GOLDEN EAGLES
Marquette is 17-3 on the season and is unbeaten in conference play with a 7-0 mark. The Golden Eagles are riding a 10-match win streak and also boast a 3-1 victory over No. 23 Michigan on Sept. 7. MU was picked to finish second in the conference preseason coaches’ poll and currently leads the BIG EAST in the standings.
The Bearcats have a combined 7-3 record over the Orange, including a 6-1 clip since joining the BIG EAST ion 2005. UC has won the past six meetings between the teams and swept SU during the most recent match on Nov. 6, 2011 at Fifth Third Arena. Cincinnati held Syracuse to a mere 24 kills in the match while recording 44, with a .407 hitting percentage, itself.
ABOUT THE ORANGE
Syracuse has produced a 9-13 record this season and a 1-6 mark in the BIG EAST. The Orange have fallen in their last three matches to Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Seton Hall, and have lost eight of their last 10 dating back to a 3-0 loss at Buffalo on Sept. 15. SU was picked to finish fifth in the BIG EAST preseason coaches’ poll, but currently sits in 12th place in the league standings.
- The Bearcats are a combined 12-3 against Connecticut and St. John’s since joining the BIG EAST in 2005. Cincinnati has not lost a match against either team since the 2006 season.
- Cincinnati’s current win streak of four consecutive matches is the first such streak of the season. The last time the Bearcats won more than four matches in a row was their 12-match streak from Oct. 18 to Nov. 20 of 2011.
- The Bearcats are now 4-1 in the month of October. Dating back to the 2008 season, Cincinnati is 40-5 in October and has not lost more than two matches during the month. In October, UC was 8-2 (2011), 9-1 (2010), 8-1 (2009) and 11-0 (2008).
- Senior Jordanne Scott has recorded double-digit kills in all but two matches this season. Overall, Scott has hit in double digits in 35 of the last 37 matches, dating back to Oct. 18, 2011 vs. Western Kentucky. Scott’s season-high kills for the 2012 season is 24 (one shy of her career-high) tallied on Sept. 23 against DePaul.
- Cincinnati ranks eighth in the BIG EAST with a .215 hitting percentage. It also ranks sixth with 12.61 assists/set and fifth with 13.40 kills/set.
- Scott’s 4.41 kills/set rank her second in the BIG EAST and 15th in the NCAA. Rohlfs is third the conference, and ranks No. 40 in the NCAA, with 10.94 assists/set. MacIntyre ranks fifth in the conference, and 32nd in the NCAA, with 5.22 digs/set.
- Four current players are ranked among the program’s elite in seven different career statistical categories. Senior Emily Hayden is sixth in career hitting percentage with a .306 mark. Junior Emily MacIntyre sits at second in the record book with a 4.17 career digs per set clip. She also ranks third with 1,421 career digs. Senior Becca Refenes is currently in sixth with 399 block assists. Refenes also has 454 career blocks to put her at tenth. Senior Jordanne Scott has recorded 1,495 career kills to rank her eighth in program history and is 3 away from moving up into the seventh spot (1,498). She also ranks 10th with 3,299 total attempts and 10th with a .282 career hitting percentage.