Women's Volleyball |
Oct. 31, 2013
UC vs. Memphis | Nov. 1 | 8 p.m. ET
Memphis, Tenn. | Elma Roane Fieldhouse
UC vs. Temple | Nov. 3 | 1 p.m. ET
Philadelphia, Pa. | Pearson-McGonigle Hall
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati volleyball team will travel to Memphis, Tenn., and Philadelphia, Pa., this weekend for two American Athletic Conference matchups. The Bearcats will face the Tigers of the University of Memphis at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, Nov. 1 and the Owls of the University of Temple at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, Nov. 3.
UC is coming off its first victory of the season, a hard-fought 3-2 (25-21, 22-25, 16-25, 25-23, 15-12) win against AAC foe Rutgers in Piscataway, N.J. Sophomore Morgan Allred (Carrolton, Texas/Hebron) led the team with 19 kills and 11 digs while freshman Kristin Conor (Lone Tree, Colo./Highlands Ranch) had 36 assists and freshman Shelby Green (Dripping Springs, Texas/Dripping Springs) added 19 digs.
Allred was named to the American Athletic Conference weekly honor roll on Oct. 28 for her performances last week. In three matches, she hit 53 kills for a 3.79 kills/set average. In a 3-2 loss at UConn, Allred set a new career record with 22 kills and had 11 digs for one of her two double-double performances on the weekend.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Eight players recorded a double-digit stat in the win vs. Rutgers. Allred led the way with 19 kills and 11 digs, freshman Breanna Barksdale had 15 kills, junior Me’Ashah Nicholson had 10 kills, Conor had 36 assists, junior Madi Lang had 16 assists, junior Jamie Netisingha had 13 digs, freshman Samantha Schrenker had 12 digs and Green had 19 digs for the Bearcats.
- The Bearcats begin the second leg of conference play this weekend. UC has played all American Athletic Conference teams once already and will match up with all nine teams one more time to close out the season.
- Cincinnati lost by a score of 3-2 to Memphis on Sept. 29 in the first meeting between the teams this season. Barksdale recorded 15 kills and 10 blocks to lead UC. The Bearcats lead the all-time series with the Tigers 27-16.
- In its last meeting with Temple, Cincinnati fell 3-1 in its first conference match of the season at Fifth Third Arena on Sept. 27. Freshmen Ciara Hill, Mallory Blauser and Barksdale all tallied double-digit kills while freshman Kristin Conor had 42 assists and freshman Shelby Green had 21 digs. Cincinnati holds a slim 4-3 lead in the overall series over the Owls.
- Freshman Shelby Green set a new career-best mark with 29 digs vs. Connecticut on Oct. 25. She followed that up with 19 digs vs. Rutgers for a 4.80 digs/set ratio in conference matches last week.