Nov. 14, 2013
UC vs. USF | Nov. 15 | 7 p.m. ET
Tampa, Fla. | The Corral
UC vs. UCF | Nov. 17 | 2 p.m. ET
Orlando, Fla. | The Venue at UCF
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati volleyball team will head to the Sunshine State this weekend as it takes on USF and UCF in matchups with two American Athletic Conference foes. The Bearcats will face the Bulls of USF at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 15 in Tampa before traveling to Orlando to play the UCF Knights at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 17.
Both USF and UCF have amassed a 9-3 conference record and sit in third and second place in the conference standings, respectively.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Bearcats will be looking for revenge when it travels to USF on Friday, Nov. 15. In the last meeting between the two teams on Oct. 13 in Cincinnati, a then-winless UC held a 2-0 match lead before being forced into a fifth set. The Bearcats were presented with three match points before letting the lead slip away and falling 3-2 to the Bulls. Three players recorded double-doubles in the match, including Kristin Conor (52 assists, 19 digs), Morgan Allred (18 kills, 13 digs) and Samantha Schrenker (10 kills, 13 digs). Cincinnati holds a slim 13-11 lead in the overall series with USF. The Bulls have won the last two meetings between the teams.
- In its last meeting with UCF on Oct. 10 at Fifth Third Arena, Cincinnati fell 3-0 to a dominating Knights team. Each team recorded 35 kills on the day, but the Bearcats could not overcome their 26 attacking errors. Breanna Barksdale led UC with 11 kills. The Bearcats have a 1-3 overall record with the Knights. The only UC win in the series came on Sept. 14, 2012, a 3-0 victory in the Time Warner Cable Texas Invitational in Austin, Texas.
- Breanna Barksdale currently ranks sixth in conference play with a .303 hitting percentage. The freshman has hit above .400 in four of her last five matches, including a .481 clip against Temple on Nov. 3. Barksdale is the only under-classmen among the top-10 in hitting percentage in the AAC.
- Freshman Kristin Conor ranks seventh among American Athletic Conference players with 7.52 assists per set in conference play. She is the only freshman listed among the top-10 in the AAC.
- In order to pick up some wins this weekend, the Bearcats will have to shut down two very potent offenses with several standout stars. Combined, UCF and USF have earned seven American Athletic Conference Player of the Week awards this season. The Knights’ DeLaina Sarden was named POW twice while Angelica Crump has also earned the honor. For USF, Erin Fairs is a three-time Player of the Week and Andrea Rodriguez-Gomez is the reigning recipient.