- Credited with bringing Bearcat basketball to a national stature during his tenure as head coach.
- Fiery style meshed well with the older players who were returning to school following service in World War II.
- In his initial year (1946-47), directed UC, which had had one winning season in the previous seven campaigns, to a 17-9 record and the first of five straight Mid-American Conference titles.
- Guided the 1948-49 team to the school's first 20-win season with a 23-5 ledger and a ranking in the national polls.
- His 1950-51 Bearcats made the school's first postseason tourney appearance, advancing to the NIT.
- Concluded his six-season career with a 106-47 record.
- Practicing attorney who became a major figure in Cincinnati-area politics.
- UC Athletic Hall of Fame 2006.