Feb. 28, 2014
Live Stats | Live Video (Free)
Five Things You Should Know
- The University of Cincinnati lacrosse team plays the fourth of six-straight road games to open the season at Niagara on Saturday, March 1. Opening draw is set for 3:00 p.m ET and the game can be seen live on PurpleEagles.com.
- The Bearcats (1-2) are coming off a weekend trip that saw them win at Stetson (17-5) and fall at No. 7/5 Florida (19-6). Junior Megan Bell (Parkton, Md./Hereford) was named BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week after registering 10 points in the two games. She also set a school record with 13 draw controls against the Hatters.
- The Purple Eagles (0-1) lost their season opener at Robert Morris, 16-13, last Saturday. Taylor Wolf and Erin Patenaude each posted three points for Niagara, while Andrea Francisco took the loss in the cage. Wolf earned Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Rookie of the Week honors for her efforts.
- Cincinnati won the first meeting with the Purple Eagles a season ago, 12-11, at UC's Nippert Stadium. Taylor Young (Cincinnati, Ohio/Sycamore) scored the game-winner with 3.2 seconds left to complete a rally that saw Cincinnati come back from an early 5-1 deficit. Young and Bell each netted three goals in the win. Courtney Curtis (Mason, Ohio/William Mason) and Ashley Helmrath (Ellicott City, Md./Maryvale Preparatory) each recorded an assist and Meg Gulmi made six saves in the victory, her first collegiate win.
- After the trip to Niagara, the Bearcats make a trip to the Palmetto State for a pair of games at Winthrop (Friday, March 7) and Presbyterian (Sunday, March 9). That ends the longest road trip in program history, with UC retruning to Cincinnati for the home opener on Friday, March 14, versus Coastal Carolina.