Oct. 21, 2013
UC vs. Xavier | Oct. 22 | 7 p.m.
Cincinnati, Ohio | Fifth Third Arena
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati volleyball team is preparing to host crosstown rival Xavier University on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. in Fifth Third Arena. The game will conclude the Bearcats' annual Dig Pink campaign to raise money and awareness for breast cancer research.
Additionally, the Bearcats and Musketeers will be meeting on the 40th anniversary of the first ever match played between the schools. UC and XU first played on Oct. 22, 1973 and the Bearcats won 3-0.
To support the Dig Pink campaign, the team will be wearing pink jerseys which will be auctioned off through a silent auction. The bidding will begin before the match on the concourse of Fifth Third Arena and will continue until 10 minutes after the conclusion of the match.
All fans are encouraged to wear pink to support the cause. Anyone interested in donating to the Cincinnati Volleyball Dip Pink campaign can do so online at: https://www.side-out.org/cb/campaigns/campaign/6997.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Bearcats have faced the Xavier Musketeers 30 times in program history, holding an impressive 21-9 advantage in the series. In its last meeting against its crosstown rival, Cincinnati bounced back from a 2-1 deficit to force a fifth game, but ultimately fell 3-2 (23-25, 28-26, 25-21, 24-26, 15-9). Jordanne Scott led all scorers with 22 kills while Emily Hayden added 11. Defensively, Emmi MacIntyre had a match-high 32 kills and Me'Ashah Nicholson added seven blocks.
- Cincinnati and Xavier rejuvenated the series in 2011 after an eight-year hiatus. Each team has won one meeting since then, with the Bearcats winning 3-1 in 2011 and the Muskies picking up the 3-2 victory in 2012.
- Four UC freshmen are ranked among the league's best for conference matches. Ciara Hill ranks seventh with a 3.21 digs/set ratio, Kristin Conor ranks ninth with 7.96 assists/set, Shelby Green ranks eighth with 0.35 service aces/set and Breanna Barksdale is fourth with 1.31 blocks/set.
- Xavier is led by freshman Abbey Bessler who has recorded 278 kills for a 3.61 kills/set ratio. Bessler also ranks third on the team in assists (0.55/set), third on the team in digs (3.04/set), and fourth on the team in blocks (0.55/set).
- Junior Aubree Smith leads the team with 10.57 assists/set while senior Sarah Brown ranks first with 4.00 digs/set and junior Alex Blair leads with 1.10 blocks/set.